Geek Zone - Video Game Shops...an public plea.

..time to get geeky for just a moment...

Does anyone happen to know any good videogame shops (or any other places that happen to sell video game related products) in or around the sukhumvit area ...im looking specifically for places that sell current/new video game releases and am mainly looking for Nintendo Switch products (I’m a game addict and a particular game I’m waiting for happens to be releasing the very same morning I leave for my next trip to bkk in May at 3am so I won’t be able to make it to the shops before I leave and it’s a game that can be played on the go and would be ideal for those long lonely flight...it’ll irk me to no end if I don’t manage to acquire this game on or around the day it hits the shelves)...

I say I’m specifically looking for places that stock new games but while we’re on the topic, anything to do with gaming/video games both new and retro (eg collectible game related memorabilia such as figures,T-shirt’s etc) is of interest to me if anyone happens to know of anything that fits the description as I like browsing through such places in my travels. Not sure if that sort of place is a thing in Bangkok though...oh and I’m only interested in genuine products not fakes btw. A true geek will only accept the real thing.

I have been in a shop up in the cinema and tech area in Terminal 21 that sells lots of PS4 and Sony related stuff. Not sure about Nintendo though...I also saw a YouTube video of a shop in MBK that was seemingly exactly what I’m looking for but they neglected to mention their name...If I know of some places in advance I can try contacting them beforehand to make sure they’ll have the damn thing when I arrive...a man can Dream...

Feels weird asking a question on this site that’s not nightlife related haha....but any help will be greatly appreciated as I’ll be needing to find this game ASAP dammit.

I'm no expert on games, but I found this article on Bangkok game stores (it's from 2014, so it may be outdated):

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/quest-authentic-video-games-these-6-shops/

There was also this Reddit on where to buy Nintendo Switch, which lists some stores:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/5w9i23/where_to_buy_nintendo_switch_in_bangkok/

Mega Plaza in China Town along Ratchawong Rd. Every game is here, so many choices plus this place is Otaku Heaven. Trust me you'll love it. 
On Sukhumvit go to MBK on the 6th floor there's a store there called Art & Gun. They are best for Nintendo products but also have PS4 and Xbox One, no bs hassle too. 

isn't MBK a good spot for something like that?

So I hear...I’ve only been to MBK once and I found the place really confusing but I wasn’t exactly looking for anything in particular ...think I left in a drooling mess after trying to navigate my way through the endless bootleg T-shirt’s level...but dammit I’ll give it another go!

Mega Plaza in China Town along Ratchawong Rd. Every game is here, so many choices plus this place is Otaku heaven. Trust me you'll love it.

On Sukhumvit go to MBK on the 6th floor there's a store there called Art & Gun. They are best for Nintendo products but also have PS4 and Xbox One, no bs hassle too.

Yep think I’ve seen a video of this place on YouTube (art & gun) but didn’t know their name...seems exactly what I’m looking for. Cheers. I’ll look into Mega Plaza too...sounds cool. Looks like the kind of place I wish I’d known about before.

Thanks guys I’ll give MBK a go...Sadly it’ll probably be the first thing I do when I arrive haha.

Edited by wallywest

I'm no expert on games, but I found this article on Bangkok game stores (it's from 2014, so it may be outdated):

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/quest-authentic-video-games-these-6-shops/

There was also this Reddit on where to buy Nintendo Switch, which lists some stores:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/5w9i23/where_to_buy_nintendo_switch_in_bangkok/

Cool thanks for the info.

Second what birdhouse said. Mega Plaza Wangburapa in China Town. It can't get geekier, this place is on a par with Akihabara

I will absolutely be checking this place out. Was watching some YouTube vids last night. It’s exactly the sort of place I’m looking for. Wish I’d known about it previous trips but now it’s something to look forward to this time.

Edited by wallywest

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok...finally made it to mega plaza today ...walked from the mrt station in the blistering heat so I’m probably crazy (need to lose weight so trying to walk more haha)

Didn’t have money to buy anything but some awesome hot toys on display...worth checking out. Might return before I leave as I didn’t get time to check everything. Thanks for the recomendation guys.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

By the way (if anyone is still paying attention to this thread) and for future reference...does Chinatown close up earlier than other parts of Bangkok to make way for the streetfood ?

The day I visited Mega Plaza I went at around 5-6 pm and it looked like it was closing up for the day as did most of the regular shops in Chinatown. Wasn’t a problem as I also came to check out the street food, which I did haha...Just curious

• Upvote 1

By the way (if anyone is still paying attention to this thread) and for future reference...does Chinatown close up earlier than other parts of Bangkok to make way for the streetfood ?

The day I visited Mega Plaza I went at around 5-6 pm and it looked like it was closing up for the day as did most of the regular shops in Chinatown. Wasn’t a problem as I also came to check out the street food, which I did haha...Just curious

If you went during the early evening you can get loads of street food over in the markets, on weekends it's available from lunchtime onwards till around 5-ish.

Directions, if you were standing infront of Megaplaza walk over towards the road bridge, this bridge is locally refered to as the iron bridge.

you'll see the khlong underneath, to your right walk up the tar sealed walk way, then you'll see the market to your left ,

walking through the market you'll find that it's a mixed market, cloths, stationary, heaps of crap, when you come to a road crossing look left and you'll see food vendors.

Note - it may not be at the first crossing, might be the second or third. I dunno my GF at the time took me but that was the course we walked. 

If these directions are confusing open google maps and have a fiddle. Otherwise if you get lost, just walk along Ratchawong Road and you'll definitely see some food stalls.

Edited by birdhaus
  • Upvote 1