Reviving very old threads: attention moderators

js89

Due to the 50 post threshold for advanced member status, we frequently have new members who come onto the board and start replying to every thread they can find, even ones a few years old. Personally, I find this just negatively affects the signal-to-noise ratio, as the info is rarely current.

Is there a way of automatically locking threads that have not had any activity for a few months? I'm not sure what the right amount of time would be - maybe 6 months seems about right to me.

Not sure if this is possible with the board software, but I for one would appreciate this if it is possible. Other BMs welcome to chime in with their thoughts.

I disagree with locking threads, sometimes there's value in revisiting an old topic.

I get what you're saying about newbs bumping old threads. 
Given that half of the time it's done to raise their post count, the other times is that they've used the search function to find something and have come up with an old topic. So be it. 

To prevent old threads being used as a way to increase your post count instead shouldn't the progression to Advanced Member status be reviewed.
My suggestion here is to make it based on contributions where they've received upvotes. Or a vote system from the pool of existing members as who gets Advanced Membership. (just some thoughts)

I disagree with locking threads, sometimes there's value in revisiting an old topic.

I get what you're saying about newbs bumping old threads. 

Given that half of the time it's done to raise their post count, the other times is that they've used the search function to find something and have come up with an old topic. So be it. 

To prevent old threads being used as a way to increase your post count instead shouldn't the progression to Advanced Member status be reviewed.

My suggestion here is to make it based on contributions where they've received upvotes. Or a vote system from the pool of existing members as who gets Advanced Membership. (just some thoughts)

It's already reviewed in this way, but that doesn't seem to stop people reviving really old threads for no apparent reason other than to add to the post count, hence my suggestion

Let the newbies get their posts in..... sure it may be an annoyance... but its a forum.. not the Moose Lodge :). I've been to Bangkok 7 times and been going to Thailand for over 9 years..... post count does not always indicate knowledge of a given subject

Edited by bigbill

Let the newbies get their posts in..... sure it may be an annoyance... but its a forum.. not the Moose Lodge :). I've been to Bangkok 7 times and been going to Thailand for over 9 years..... post count does not always indicate knowledge of a given subject

Post count only partially contributes towards advanced status. These replies to really old topics don't count.

but must say i don't understand why..

if what bothers advance friendsis that old post are bump to the head of the list - i'm sure you can make a filter that arrange the topic by the date that they have made, and not by the last change. (js89 - by your post of the DNS issue i can tell it's not a strange area for you)...

it's a forum. new members read old posts, and i think if they are appreciate TR the fair thing is to thank the member that made an effort.

i'm advance member at Pattaya addict (by the name pitter1.temp) and made my donations (by posts and by money), and if it wasn't so fun for me to read all this - i would just ask the forum admin to acknowledge that (seem's reasonable to me), instead of bother you guys...

so so true. 

haven't been so many times, but the next time, after reading this forum, going to look like the first :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I get annoyed with forums that lock old threads. Quite often, if the content's not quite relevant, but can be updated. For example, I think having to start a new thread every few months about which bars in Nana are ladyboy bars would only result in muddled, confusing searches.

The noob trait that annoys me is the one or two word comments.

"grreaaaaaaaaaaaaat"

"niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice."

Contributes nothing, unless sounding like the Jazz guy on Fast Show is a thing.

• Upvote 1