Anyone wanna buy me a beer? I'll show you around.

This has been really interesting so far and I must say I've learned a lot myself. The most critical thing I've learned is the importance of timing. When I'm out on my own it's not such a big deal if a place is dead that I thought would be bustling or if a restaurant is closed that I thought would be open. I've gotten a lot better at calling ahead if I suspect there's any risk a place might be closed. The worst incident so far was when I let a public holiday sneak up on me and had to cancel a meetup. That's something you don't worry about when you live here but when you're here on a brief vacation it can really have an impact.

I've also learned about what people tend to be interested in. More people want to at least see some Ladyboys than I initially expected. It's not really worth taking a detour to eat unless someone is really interested in food. Unsurprisingly people are not so price sensitive when they're here on holiday. It's much better to help them negotiate a better experience than a lower price.

I'm really starting to tighten it up and make it more focused, making sure we hit the right places at the right time and not waste time on detours. Some places are really worth popping into for a quick look (e.g. The Thermae, Beer Garden, BJ bars) but not worth staying for 30 minutes to have a drink unless you really want to. If you like any of them you'll know they're there and can return on your own later.

I haven't taught anyone a single word in Thai I believe, and to be honest there's not much point to it if you're not planning to live here.

I've also had to remember what it's like to be here for the first time, not knowing how to get a girl down from the stage or how to decline offers from overly aggressive girls trying to pull you inside their bar. Some guys are more self-conscious whereas others don't mind having me negotiate on their behalf. I always put the offer on the table that if they want to split up and end the night on their own I don't mind. 

I also discovered something interesting recently, which is how to fulfill more unusual requests. I set out to find toms, which is a term for  lesbian or bisexual girls who tend to dress boyishly and wear their hair short. You can usually see some girls like this sitting outside the bars in Nana where their girlfriends work, or coming by on motorcycles at the end of the night to drive their partners home. I found some success by looking for ads they would post online but I've now realized that I would find more success posting my own advertisement and let them come find me. In any case this is more relevant to those staying long-term or frequent visitors, but if there's any unusual requests like that I might be able to help arrange something.

In any case I'm still around if anyone wants a tour. Feel free to PM and as always there's no strings attached, I'm just doing it because I like going out and having fun.

This has been really interesting so far and I must say I've learned a lot myself. The most critical thing I've learned is the importance of timing. When I'm out on my own it's not such a big deal if a place is dead that I thought would be bustling or if a restaurant is closed that I thought would be open. I've gotten a lot better at calling ahead if I suspect there's any risk a place might be closed. The worst incident so far was when I let a public holiday sneak up on me and had to cancel a meetup. That's something you don't worry about when you live here but when you're here on a brief vacation it can really have an impact.

I've also learned about what people tend to be interested in. More people want to at least see some ladyboys than I initially expected. It's not really worth taking a detour to eat unless someone is really interested in food. Unsurprisingly people are not so price sensitive when they're here on holiday. It's much better to help them negotiate a better experience than a lower price.

I'm really starting to tighten it up and make it more focused, making sure we hit the right places at the right time and not waste time on detours. Some places are really worth popping into for a quick look (e.g. The Thermae, Beer Garden, BJ bars) but not worth staying for 30 minutes to have a drink unless you really want to. If you like any of them you'll know they're there and can return on your own later.

I haven't taught anyone a single word in Thai I believe, and to be honest there's not much point to it if you're not planning to live here.

I've also had to remember what it's like to be here for the first time, not knowing how to get a girl down from the stage or how to decline offers from overly aggressive girls trying to pull you inside their bar. Some guys are more self-conscious whereas others don't mind having me negotiate on their behalf. I always put the offer on the table that if they want to split up and end the night on their own I don't mind. 

I also discovered something interesting recently, which is how to fulfill more unusual requests. I set out to find toms, which is a term for  lesbian or bisexual girls who tend to dress boyishly and wear their hair short. You can usually see some girls like this sitting outside the bars in Nana where their girlfriends work, or coming by on motorcycles at the end of the night to drive their partners home. I found some success by looking for ads they would post online but I've now realized that I would find more success posting my own advertisement and let them come find me. In any case this is more relevant to those staying long-term or frequent visitors, but if there's any unusual requests like that I might be able to help arrange something.

In any case I'm still around if anyone wants a tour. Feel free to PM and as always there's no strings attached, I'm just doing it because I like going out and having fun.

UNMEDICATED is the BEST!

Best source in BKK for digging out all those foxy Toms and Ladyboys from the crazy streets of BKK. I think its a combination of your detective work and Thai language skills.

Thanks Man!

UNMEDICATED is the BEST!

Best source in BKK for digging out all those foxy Toms and Ladyboys from the crazy streets of BKK. I think its a combination of your detective work and Thai language skills.

Thanks Man!

Thanks man but when it comes to Ladyboys I'm just an undergrad while you are The Professor.

• 4 weeks later...

Will be in Bangkok from 19th July. Would love to meet...

Sorry I didn't get back to you very quickly! Absolutely, we should meet. I've sent you a pm.

Really happy with the response this thread is still generating. If anybody else is interested in meeting up, just send me a direct message or post in this thread.

• 4 months later...

Hi, this will be my last week in BKK and would be great if we can meet. I plan to spend some months here in 2019 so I have many doubts that need to be cleared... do you still do this? Can you send me a PM with your Line ID? Thanks!

PM sent. Thanks for getting in touch!

• 1 month later...

I'm asking that this thread be closed. There will be a new thread posted shortly that will take into account all of the experiences I've had since I first put up this post.

Huge thanks to everyone who participated in this thread and especially to those of you who met up with me. You were great, every single one of you!