Motorbike lessons for an (almost) newbie...

El Cata

Evening chaps, unless you're reading this in the morning.

Do you know of a company that will provide motorbike lessons in Bangkok?

I have over 15 years car driving experience, along with over 10 hours experience riding a quad bike through the jungles, beaches, sugar cane fields & townships of the Dominican Republic.

Is there a company that will drop off 2 motorbikes & a Thai man in a low traffic area, so that I can learn to ride (snigger) without being killed?

Peace.Coffee.gif

You are brave my friend I think Thailand has more Road Deaths per year per capita than any other country in the World I don't doubt your skills I question the Thai drivers Mentality and or skills when on the Road.Get a Helmet and Wear it spend some money on a good one and be extremely careful Good Luck!!!

Edited by jonerich

It's not quite so bad in Bangkok, if you drive with the understanding that everyone else is out to get you! I have friends who have ridden bikes here for 20+ years with never an accident. But watch out for Songkran - when mo'cy riders are the favourite (though ilegal) target. Nothing like a bucket of ice water thrown in your face as you come riding around a corner!

In the provinces it is really dangerous. I knew several Thais who have been killed by Thai drivers - both hit by speeding idiots in pickups or big lorries. A Farang friend who taught in Phuket for two years told me she lost students in her rachapat uni classes every semester. The daily mo'cy death rate in Phuket is something like 1.5 per day and the press has been told not to report it. My friend said first thing she did was buy a car in Phuket!

Edited by Flashermac

• 3 months later...

It's not quite so bad in Bangkok, if you drive with the understanding that everyone else is out to get you! I have friends who have ridden bikes here for 20+ years with never an accident. But watch out for Songkran - when mo'cy riders are the favourite (though ilegal) target. Nothing like a bucket of ice water thrown in your face as you come riding around a corner!

In the provinces it is really dangerous. I knew several Thais who have been killed by Thai drivers - both hit by speeding idiots in pickups or big lorries. A Farang friend who taught in Phuket for two years told me she lost students in her rachapat uni classes every semester. The daily mo'cy death rate in Phuket is something like 1.5 per day and the press has been told not to report it. My friend said first thing she did was buy a car in Phuket!

Jesus Christ that guy is dangerous. If you ride like that you're just an accident waiting to happen. Ride like you would in the west and you'll likely be ok.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...