Can anyone offer reassurance re damaged passport?

Hi all

I'm due to travel to BKK next week for the first time. I've just read on the UK govt website that Thai immigration are likely to refuse entry if your passport is damaged. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience of this or has successfully travelled on a damaged passport?

My passport isn't hugely damaged but there was a staple from an old entry form on one page which I removed and which caused a tear, although no part is missing, there is just a small triangle of a page hanging off, just under 1cm. I didn't think anything of it at the time but getting a little worried now!

How strict is Thai immigration on these things?

Thanks!

I would not even worry about it... just be honest if questioned which I doubt would even happen.... If worried have a bit of paperwork like your return flight details ready.. just keep smiling at him/her... Not a problem...enjoy your stay.... Keep us posted in fairness on how you go..

Thanks both, that's actually very reassuring. The rest of the passport, including photo page is fine, and the damage on the one page is still attached. I'll take proof of return journey, the required 10,000THB and some big smiles :)  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks both, that's actually very reassuring. The rest of the passport, including photo page is fine, and the damage on the one page is still attached. I'll take proof of return journey, the required 10,000THB and some big smiles :)  Thanks

don't bring any THB with you, get it once you get into the country.  They never check your currency coming in if you are a regular US tourist.

Thanks both, that's actually very reassuring. The rest of the passport, including photo page is fine, and the damage on the one page is still attached. I'll take proof of return journey, the required 10,000THB and some big smiles :) Thanks

The monetary requirement is 20,000 baht or equivalent in foreign currency.

They rarely check if you are a legitimate tourist with few trips to Thailand.

Other requirements are a flight out of Thailand within the allotted time of visiting status and proof of where you’re staying.

Again, they rarely check but they can and you can be denied entry.

I've been asked where I was staying before, many years ago. After trying to pronounce the hotel name so that he could understand 3 times I started pulling out the paper I kept with the address and confirmation... And, the immigration guy decided he wasn't really that interested, and passed me through without looking.

And one time had an issue with the electronic passport not being read correctly, and marched around between a few desks before they decided it wasn't an issue.  That was probably 10 years ago, or more, electronic passports were pretty new and they were just trying to scan the goofy text with all the ">>>" lines and couldn't.

I do usually take some cash, probably 5 US $100 bills, just in case whatever happens, easy to exchange, make sure they are new bills in good condition. But don't remember ever being asked about money from Thai immigration, I think maybe once entering Canada they asked me about it and I told them I had an ATM card...

Mostly, they act like they don't speak English and do their best not to say anything to me.  But when the line gets long, I follow my wife through the "Thai citizen" line (cause ya, she is, and they let me follow her), and they probably really don't speak English, and I dunno what they ask her.

Edited by little_me

I had the same thing happen to me entering England at heathrow.

Immigration officer asked where I was staying and I couldn’t get WiFi when I pulled my computer out of my bag. After an uncomfortable minute or so searching and waiting he just let me pass.

I bring this up because it’s not thailand that makes it difficult for tourists, it’s pretty much most countries.

I recently traveled neighboring countries and found a complete absence of airport security which made me realize why Thailand needs to be much more aware. Their airports are international hubs and their neighbors are not.